Before those fireworks start exploding on the 4th of July, you will want to crank up those grills. It is time to celebrate being in this wonderful country of ours. If you are like me, you tend to smile and swell a little with pride being from the good old USA. Being from a small town, the annual fireworks display was, at that time, fun even though there was about a 30 second gap between fireworks. Now, they are synchronized with patriotic music, and are so exciting they take your breath away. It is hard to stop those tears at hearing the military marches.
So enjoy some GHOSTWOOD with those burgers and dogs, and I hope everybody has a wonderful, safe 4th of July! – Jan
Ghostwood Burgers and Hot Dogs
Summer cookouts are so much fun! Starting the grill and doing most of the cooking outside can’t be beat. The burgers and hot dogs were a real treat, I don’t know which one I liked more. GHOSTWOOD added a unique smoothness and tang. Now might be the time to try the GHOSTWOOD baked beans as a side to serve at your cookout.
- 2 lbs ground chuck
- 1/2 c GHOSTWOOD Blended Bourbon
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 6-8 slices cheese of your choice
GHOSTWOOD HOT DOGS
- 8 hot dogs
- 1 c GHOSTWOOD Blended Bourbon
- 1/8 tsp hot sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 c ketchup
- 1/2 c brown sugar
GHOSTWOOD CARMELIZED ONIONS
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 c GHOSTWOOD Blended Bourbon
- 1 tbsp light brown sugar
- Pour 1/2 c GHOSTWOOD in a small saucepan. Bring it to a boil and reduce by half. Remove it from the heat.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together the ground chuck, oregano, cumin, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and reduced GHOSTWOOD.
- Form the meat into 6 burgers, form burgers to match the size of the buns. Grill to your desired doneness, topping burgers with sliced cheese during final minutes of grilling.
- Grill the buns.
- To serve, spread mayonnaise on the bottom of the buns, top with burgers and a generous amount of GHOSTWOOD caramelized onions, and any other toppings you like. We added some sliced smoked bacon to ours.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Increase the heat, add the GHOSTWOOD and allow it to simmer until the liquid is thick and syrupy. Stir in the brown sugar and remove it all from the burner.
- In a saucepan, mix the GHOSTWOOD, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar. Heat the sauce and simmer until it is reduced by half.
- Grill your hot dogs and buns now, when done, dip dogs into the sauce and place on the buns, adding some carmelized onions and more sauce to taste.
ENJOY! AND HAPPY 4th!